How to Use Essential Oils to Calm Anxiety
Anxiety is a natural part of our development and it is designed to warn us of upcoming danger. If we get to a point where we are always in a state of anxiety, then it becomes an anxiety disorder and the fight or flight response is being triggered when there doesn't seem to be a trigger which is causing the anxiety to come on someone. Anxiety can appear in different forms such as phobias, panic attacks, or social anxiety. The physical signs of anxiety include:
- Pain in the stomach
- Tingling limbs
- Difficulty Thinking
If you or your child has these signs, you may want to contact your doctor for further evaluation:
- Excessive Worry
- Sleeping Troubles
- Intestinal problems
- Phobias - an extreme fear or aversion to something
- Being self conscious
- Panic attacks
- Flashbacks to a traumatic event
- Obsessive Compulsive thoughts and behaviors
How can Essential oils help to Calm Anxiety?
Essential oils have become very popular in recent years even though they have been around since the beginning of time. They are being used in many ways to support our bodies naturally and one way is to calm anxiety. From single oils to blends, from topical use to using them in diffusers, there are a multitude of ways to incorporate them into your day. Let's dive into that to give you some tools to use.
- Lavender - One of the best known oils, lavender oil benefits include calming the nervous system and relaxing the body. It has also been shown to help people express their feelings, so it helps with emotional balance as well. Many people have found sleep when applied to the bottoms of the feet as well as when used aromatically.
- Cedarwood - when applied topically, Cedarwood soothes anxious feelings and is very grounding. It promotes a feeling of belonging and connected socially.
- Bergamot - Helps balance our emotions when used aromatically or topically and relieves stress and increases feelings of self confidence.
- Frankincense - when used aromatically, calms the mind and brings tranquility and peace to oneself. Can also be used topically to the back of the neck.
- Vetiver - when used aromatically and topically it promotes emotional balance going from ungrounded to rooted. Combine with lavender and apply to the bottoms of feet, spine and back of neck to calm anxiety.
Essential oil Blends
- doTerra's Balance (Grounding Blend) - This blend does just what it's name evokes. The warm, woody around helps create a sense of calm and well being. It balances your emotions and I always apply in the morning to the bottoms of my feet, pulse points (behind ears, wrists) and over my heart to start my day with confidence and peace.
- doTerra's Peace (Reassuring Blend) - This blend contains many oils that are used for relaxation and calming, such as Lavender, Marjoram, Ylang Ylang and Vetiver. This is my go to when feeling of anxiousness start to creep in. I apply over my heart, on my wrists and back of neck.
- doTerra's Hope - This blend contains Bergamot, Ylang Ylang and Frankincense. I apply this blend over Peace and within minutes I am much calmer.
- doTerra's Elevation (Joyful Blend) a potpourri of essential oils that revitalize and uplift your mood when feeling sad. Some of the oils in this blend of Lavandin, Lavender, Hawaiian Sandalwood, Melissa (which is another wonderful oil to transform your mood) and Ylang Ylang. When used topically, can reduce feeling of anxiety and stress. When used aromatically, this blend can change the dynamics in a room.
- doTerra's Serenity (Restful Blend) - This blend contains oils such as Lavender Flower, Cedarwood, Ho Wood Leaf, Ylang, Ylang, Marjoram, Roman Chamomile Flower and Vetiver Root, all oils known for calming and reducing feelings of anxiousness. This blend calms the mind and soothes the senses.
Ways to Use
Let's talk about the two most common ways essential oils are used to calm anxiety.
- Topically - Whenever I think about using essential oils topically for calming anxiety, I apply to pulse points which is wherever your heart rate can be felt. Why do I do that? Well, our blood is the warmest there and that will help release the scent of the oil with the warmth of our blood. I apply behind the ears, wrists, and over my heart. One can also apply to the back of knees, inside of elbows and near the ankle joint.
- Aromatically - When using essential oils aromatically to calm anxiety, I will generally put in a diffuser and run the diffuser by my desk or by my bed at night. I also will place a couple of drops into my hand and cup my hand around my nose and make a little tent and inhale deeply the scent of the oils to calm.
How to Know Which Oil is Best for You
In order to know which oil would be best for you to calm anxiety, it's always best to chat with someone who can help you identify when you are feeling the anxiety, how long does it last, what brings it on, etc. An appointment is always the best way to do that. I LOVE meeting with people to share my love of oils and why I trust doTerra with my health.
I'd love to help you start your journey with essential oils. If you are ready to have someone walk beside you and help you choose which oils would be best for your individual situation, then please click here and schedule your FREE appointment.
I have loved incorporating essential oils into my wellness lifestyle and I know it will bless you and your families as well.
I can't wait to connect :)
Until next time,
About the author: Mary is a wife of 22 years and mom to three children, one who has ADHD and Sensory Processing Disorder. She is also a Certified Health Coach and loves to serve her clients through a Free Facebook group, Online and In-Person Individual Family Coaching and Group Coaching programs. She is also a self published author of "Food & The Brain" a book about how food affects our brains and the creator of "Grocery Store to Table" a program with a proven approach to helping your child accept new foods into their diets.
Feel free to visit her website for more info: https://www.treeoflifehealthcoaching.net/