Back to School with Essential Oils
I can't believe it's September and no matter where you are in this great land of ours, it's Back to School time. We started seeing back to school signs in our local stores right after July 4th, but now it's time to get down to business. It's time to make sure that we have the right backpack, lunch container, pencils, pens, markers and the like. Our kids are all set, but are they? There's one thing that I believe every home should have and especially at back to school time. Want to guess what that is? I'll give you a hint, it's in the title :)
Essential oils have been around for thousand of years, however just within the past 10 years have they become such a buzz word. They help our bodies in so many ways, but today I want to chat about how you can use them to have a great back to school season.
Our kids have been out of the mode of school for 3 months and now it's back to sitting in desks, limited recess times, homework and after school enrichment programs. It's a difficult transition for any child, but especially for a child with ADHD, SPD, OCD or ODD. I have found as well as many others that essential oils are a great natural way to enhance focus and attention, mental alertness, support emotional health, memory and more.
Here's my Top 5 Essential Oils for Back to School
- Peppermint & Wild Orange - Okay so these are two. I had to share this combo with you as it peppermint and wild orange promote focus and mental alertness. You can put this in your diffuser when the kids are eating breakfast, doing homework or getting dressed for school. You can also put this in a roller bottle and have them rub it on their wrists and back of neck too.
- In Tune Focus Blend - This blend contains oils that have been proven to promote focus, reduce anxiety, calm hyperactivity and has oils that can actually cross the blood brain barrier and affect our brain cells. This one is a MUST for me when I am working or writing my blog :)
- Lemon - Oils also help balance our emotional state and this oil is known to be called the "Oil of Focus". Diffusing this oil will help our children concentrate and is a great for kids who are struggling in school. It helps us focus on one thing at a time and dispels confusion. It blends great with Rosemary as well.
- Rosemary - This oil helps with memory and learning disabilities. It also helps with transition and this time can be a hard time for our kiddos.
- Vetiver - A great oil for grounding and helps our kids who struggle with focus and attention as well. It calms anxiety and can aid in sleeplessness as well.
How to Use Essential Oils
There are 3 Ways to use essential oils, aromatically, topically and internally. For the purposes discussed in this blog, we will address aromatically and topically. I would be happy to chat with you about the uses of essential oils internally, so please reach out and we can set up a time to chat about that :)
Aromatically - The most common way people use essential oils aromatically is through a diffuser which is a device that you would put a certain amount of water in and a few drops of an essential oil, per the devices instructions. They can run from 2-8 hours depending on the model and they disperse tiny particles of the essential oil into the air. Please note that it is important to NOT use essential oils in a humidifier. Another way to use essential oils aromatically is to place a drop or two in the palms of your hands, rub together and cup over your nose and inhale.
Topically - We use essential oils topically which means to place the essential oil onto the skin with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil to dilute the essential oil. Dilution is important for several reasons. Dilution allows for the essential oil to be experienced at a deeper cellular level as the FCO helps weigh down the essential oil and there is less evaporation into the air. It also helps to reduce any skin sensitivity that might come with an oil as well as it stretches your oils to go farther, thus saving you money.
Well, now it's time to get these oils into your home and start using them. The brand I use and recommend to my clients is doTerra Essential Oils. Each batch of doTERRA essential oils goes through a battery of rigorous tests to ensure you and your family receive only the most pure, potent, and effective oils on earth. They are tested in house as well as with 3 independent labs to be sure you are getting what you pay for.
I'd love to help you get started on essential oils. All you have to do is book a 45 minute appointment and we can get you started this week. Then after you receive your oils, I will gift you another appointment so you can be confident in using them to transform you and your child's health.
Book your appointment today by clicking here !!
Until next time,
About the author: Mary is a wife of 22 years and mom to three children, one who has ADHD and Sensory Processing Disorder. She is also a Certified Health Coach and loves to serve her clients through a Free Facebook group, Online and In-Person Individual Family Coaching and Group Coaching programs. She is also a self published author of "Food & The Brain" a book about how food affects our brains and the creator of "Grocery Store to Table" a program with a proven approach to helping your child accept new foods into their diets.